Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Catching up on some Thanks


While I'm at it, I want to do a less in-depth run down of all the days of thankfulness I missed from Kenzie at Chasing Happy's "The Thankful Project". Better late, than never...right? (Or as I LOVE to tell my kids..."Am I right or am I right?" bahahaha! I can see their eyes rolling at me now!)

Ok...onward!

11/1: A PERSON
My "sister-in-law" (or so we will call her). She's been my closest friend (other than my fiancé himself) since we moved, and I'm thankful for her presence, to laugh with, to listen to me vent, to give me a hug when I REALLY need one. She's good stuff.

11/2: A ROLE YOU'VE PLAYED
Momma. Nothing has ever filled me with such satisfaction as being the best Mom I can to my four boys. I am FAR from perfect, but they love me anyway...through every mistake...every bad day. It is by far, hands down, the most wonderful thing I've ever done with my life...having those boys.

11/3: A PLACE
Madison. Madison breathed new life into me when I truly needed it. I needed hope and a break and freedom...this beautiful city gave me all three. I truly believe I will be here forever.

11/4: AN EXPERIENCE
My youngest son's dad left us. Left our family after five years. And for the most part, he never looked back. At the time, I thought it was the worst possible thing that could ever happen. But what I learned was how strong I am. How much I can accomplish. I learned how to have some self-worth. Had he not left, I might still be in the same sick cycle of that detrimental relationship. So today and every day, I am grateful not just that he left (that sounds awful, I know...) but I am incredibly grateful for what it taught me about myself.
 
11/5: A TALENT YOU HAVE
Photography. Not bragging. I'm no photographic prodigy or anything. I took a short run at a photography business many moons ago. (It wasn't for me.) But I can take a good photo. I can connect with people and get a true smile out of someone who claims they aren't photogenic. I've done family photos for lots of friends and they are so incredibly grateful for the photos...I am grateful for the ability to provide them.

11/6: A FAILURE
I am thankful for every failed relationship I've ever had. Had they not failed, I wouldn't have learned form them, and I wouldn't be with my soul mate today.

11/7: A JOB
There were A LOT of things I disliked about my old job (I was an Engineering Tech Writer), but I cannot deny the great amount of things I learned (both about the job and about myself). I was given amazing leadership opportunities, the chance to travel, lean management skills and experience and I had the most wonderful boss anyone could ever hope for. I am thankful every day for the opportunities I had there.

11/8: WORDS
I've begun listening to our local Christian station...Life 102.5...and I just love it. It always seems that whenever I need it most, I will hear just the right song to lift my spirit or give me strength. I am thankful for the words coming across my speakers as I drive home from work each evening. No matter what I'm stressed about, they calm me in some way or another.

11/9: A PHOTO
How do I do it? How do I pick just ONE photo? I've taken hundreds...maybe thousands of goofy, silly faced photos with my boys. Laughing and crazy photos with friends. A bazillion family photos over the years. I can't choose. So then I think of how certain moments in life made me feel, and I am drawn to a point in time, where there was a lot of uncertainty in my life. And through it all, my best friend (who is now my fiancé) and I never lost site of how much we cared about each other. Through all of our ups and downs, we never once, for a moment stopped loving each other. So I choose my very favorite photo of us, from what seems like so long ago now. Before we ever dated...just happy to have each other in our lives.
 
11/10: A MEMORY
Memories can be good or bad. I would've thought my automatic response to a memory I am thankful for would be to a good memory, but it wasn't. My first thoughts went to me cleaning out my totaled Chevy Avalanche. My ex totaled our truck and left it roadside and ran, leaving me to deal with the mess. (Literally and figuratively.) I am thankful for the memory of tromping through the snow and slush at the vehicle impound in my winter boots, digging my toddler's glass filled car seat out of the back, thanking God he hadn't been with his dad...cutting my hands as I pulled my belongings from this totaled vehicle...explaining to my son's the dangerous outcome of substance abuse followed by driving...shaking as I realized the back tires were in the bed of the truck because he tore the rear axle right off the vehicle...and growing stronger every second knowing I would never, ever allow his antics back into my life. It's not a good memory, but it was a healing one, and for that I am thankful.
 
11/11: SOMETHING YOU WERE TAUGHT
Patience. Some people are innately patient. Some people are not patient at all, and don't care. I learned patience. I guess I wasn't "taught" by anyone in particular, but so many people displayed patience with me, and I learned by example. I am now, quite deliberately patient...and I am proud of that.
 
11/12: AN OPPORTUNITY
I am thankful for the opportunity I had to train to become an Emergency Medical Technician and for my further training with an all volunteer ambulance service "back home". The training, the friendships, the help we have provided. All of it was part of one amazing opportunity that I feel blessed to have been involved in.
 
(Disclaimer...these are all training photos...there were NO actual injured patients at the time they were taken.)
 

Extrication training...
 
 
 
Every 15 Minutes program...
 
Ice Water Rescue training...


 
11/13: AN ABILITY
I can cook. I wouldn't call it a talent, but I'm certainly capable of cooking a good, homemade meal, large or small, and having people enjoy it. It makes me heart happy to be able to feed my family good healthy meals, comfort foods, and special treats. And I make a mean pot of soup...just sayin'. :)
 
Yummmm....
 
 
11/14: A BLESSING
The home I live in is a blessing. It is owned by my fiancé's parents and they allow us, as well as his brothers family to live there and we all are truly blessed that they have given us this opportunity.
 
11/15: AN ANNOYANCE
My phone. My stupid silly iPhone with it's destroyed (we're talking shattered) screen, it's non-functional front facing camera and it's plethora of other problems. But it works. It lets me call and text and even check facebook, so really...what do I have to complain about?
 
11/16: SOMETHING YOU OWN
The fiancé gifted me a women's devotional bible when he learned I was re-exploring the idea of faith. I actually find it really hard to follow, but it's such a thoughtful gift, and it is nice to have with me when I need it. I'm very thankful for it.
 
11/17: A ROOM
Our bedroom. It is a work-in-progress, but it has my beloved "Don't Give Up" print hanging above our bed. It has the silly robot painting we found at a yard sale. It has my duvet which makes me smile every time I see it on my bed, all made up. It's just one of my favorite places to hang out. Love it. (This grainy, low-light photo doesn't do it justice...promise.)

11/18: A CHOICE
 Moving to Madison was not an easy decision...especially considering two of my boys stayed back home with their dad's. But I knew what I had to do, had the courage to make the choice that was right for me, even though it was being looked upon negatively by some others, and I went for it. Thankful every day.

11/19: A BOOK
I'm going to cheat a little and say the entire Harry Potter series. (Don't judge me. LOL!) These books are so amazingly well written. The story is wonderful. I can read them alone or with my kids. I can read them over and over again. I adore them and am thankful to have them.

11/20: SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER OR BEST FRIEND
I just smiled when I read that. My significant other IS my best friend, and for THAT I am thankful. I'm thankful he listens to me when I need to be listened to. I am thankful he is frugal, by nature, and helps me remember things to conserve energy and to save us money. I am thankful for his big beautiful smile, and his big strong arms. I am thankful how sometimes, just when I need it, he knows just the right thing to say. I love him.

11/21: SOMETHING THAT'S EASY TO TAKE FOR GRANTED
The fact that I have a job. Some days when I'm tired and don't want to get up...or when it's been a long day at work and a permanent vacation is sounding just too nice...I remember that some people are working really, very hard to FIND a job. And I have one. A good one. Without a college education. I am blessed.

11/22: AN EXPECTATION
I expect, now that we have found OUR church, we will continue to go regularly...I can't wait!

11/23: SOMETHING YOU'VE SEEN

This is going to seem silly but I don't care. I went to a MUSE concert last year. Two things stuck with me. The beauty of the city that is Minneapolis. I never, EVER thought for one second I would be a "city girl" and I was struck by and smitten with that city. It started the wheels turning in my head of moving. And the concert itself. I was completely awe-struck. It was STUNNING. To this day, I find it hard to verbalize. (Which if you know me, is comical, because I can talk at length about pretty much anything! ha!) I will never, ever forget that concert or the way it made me feel.


























11/24: A PHYSICAL TRAIT I HAVE
My teeth. Hands down. I am so thankful to never have had braces and yet have a mouthful of straight, pretty teeth. And not only that, but I am completely (ridiculously) afraid of the dentist, so I avoid it unless I absolutely HAVE to go...and yet, my teeth are strong and healthy. I'm a lucky girl. Plus, I love using a big, happy smile to make someone's day.

Cheeeeeeese :)
 
11/25: SOMETHING YOU KNOW
I know that no matter what I do or say, my sons and my parents will always love me. I know they will.

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment