Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Thankful Project


As I am finding my way back to blogging (I used to write and read almost daily...I miss it), I'm finding new and wonderful, inspiring blogs I am loving to read.

One that I recently happened across is "Chasing Happy". The title caught my eye and now, so has her blog. It's a wonderful read and I highly recommend it! Definitely added to my list of blogs to follow!

Kenzie, at Chasing Happy is currently hosting a blogging challenge she has called "The Thankful Project".  I'm coming way late to the party...we're talking 26 days late, but I'm  here, nonetheless, and I'm thankful, so I'm joining in the fun!

Today is Day 26...CRITICISM YOU RECEIVED.

I like this one. I'm not anti-criticism. Don't get me wrong...I aim to please. I never want to feel like I didn't do my best or like I let someone down. But criticism, delivered properly, is a very powerful tool. Criticism delivered properly and with LOVE can be life changing.

I will readily admit that my younger brothers both seem to "have it together" more than me...especially lately. One just opened an AMAZING restaurant, and the other just bought and is renovating his first house! Needless to say, I am extremely proud of both of them...especially considering I'm the "big sister" and they probably looked up to me when we were younger, and now I'm looking up to them.

At any rate, my brother B has always been a solid "voice of reason" to me. He can say the same thing as almost anyone else, but for some reason, he is capable of wording it and delivering it in such a way that it really hits home with me.

I have had, we will say, a tumultuous past year or two. Lots (and lots and lots) of ups and downs. And I won't lie, it hasn't been the most fun rollercoaster I've ever been on. But I'm choosing now, to have faith that I'm heading in the right direction, and will continue to learn and grow and always do my best.

During one particular low moment in my past, my brother called me to see how I was doing. (aka: my mom made him try to get a hold of me because I wasn't answering anyone's calls.) We talked for a while, and he listened to what I had to say. And then, after patiently listening to my rambling, he brought up a time about a year earlier, where we had all gotten together at our mom's house for a BBQ and we had taken a bunch of photos. He reminded me of that day and said "You don't smile like that anymore. What happened? Is it worth it?"

Boom. Homerun, out of the park. HIT HOME. He wasn't saying anything different than anyone else was saying to me. He just delivered it in a way that it was effective.

So for that moment, for those words of criticism (with love) from my brother....I am thankful.


- jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment